Thread: Non Ethanol gas
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Yeah, THAT guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPaul View Post
So now what you are saying is knowing the dangers of E10 your friend intentionally blew up his Corrado just to save a buck! Oh my gosh.
Where did I say that? The kid was ignorant in using E10, he did it to save money, Not Realizing the Consequences. I became aware of the danger with the MTBE scare in California; Many older cars were going up in flames because it was corroding rubber hoses left and right. I saw similar experiences with E10 online, and decided long ago to not use it in my '80s VWs. It robbed power too, so what is the point?

Quote:
I'm telling you, if you're going to try to make the argument that 20+ year old rubber was entirely fine until around 10% ethanol blend hit it, I disagree.
If you read what I wrote, that's not what I said. You may have Taken that from what I wrote, but that's not my problem.

Quote:
I am intimately aware of the chemistry of rubber compounds and how some chemicals can affect them. Older compounds of rubber can certainly be broken down over time by ethanol based fuels.
I'm glad we can agree on something.
Quote:
However, you usually have dry rotting and cracking externally long before ethanol melts a rubber hose. If you or your friend is trying to make the argument his fire was solely resultant from E10, he is covering up for the fact that he'd probably never inspected the rubber hoses on his car.
A good point; did I inspect his car before this happened? Of course not. Since he was ignorant of the dangers of E10 damage, not only with the rubber, but with relation to the damage from knock and ping, I have no doubt that he probably did not carefully look over his car regularly enough. I think he was more of a 'driver' than a 'mechy type'.

Quote:
I've run E10, literally my entire life, I've never had a rubber hose melt. I think I just crested 100 cars owned.
Looks like I am older than your are, and my experience is different. While I've only owned something in the high twenties, does your experience naturally trump my own? I worked at a VW dealership for 5 years, and have worked closely with and for an independent shop for 25, does that mean I shouldn't listen to what you have to say on this matter? I don't think so... Now, to the point; what age of vehicles? How long did you run them? Did you Only ever use E10? What nation of manufacture did most of them come from?

Vehicles made since flexfuel cars came on line are much more compliant to ethanol, but of course they use something other than rubber for their fuel lines, don't they?

Quote:
Pure Gas won't exist for much longer, and it's already nearly impossible to find so I hope a lot of people can come to terms with its use. Going to need to get bus passes soon otherwise.
Incorrect; there are states out there that demand pure gas, and you know as well as I do that as long as there is a demand, things won't change, UNLESS the government jumps in and does something stupid.

Quote:
This isn't all that dissimilar from when guys in Diesel Discussion dump Synthetic oil into a 40 year old OM615 that's never been touched and was leaking like a sieve before and notice a little more leaking, and then blame all the leaks on the oil.
I'm not in that camp; as I write this, I am Hoping to kill a number of leaks soon, so that I CAN run synthetic... I'll do a mix first and see how it goes.

Quote:
Unless you've been driving at something entirely different. In that case, we should just get a beer and be confused friends.
I'll vote for that; the first round is on me!

EDIT To add, I spoke to the mechanic at the store I worked at; he offered the salient point that no, they Won't turn E10 down since they would certainly risk sales. However, anyone in that business is wisely advised to avoid it, just as the warnings in that blurb you posted demonstrate.

1998 VW Cabrio
2001 Audi SomeRoad A/T (no air suspension)
2003 Audi DeadRoad M/T (no vroom, for later)
2002 Audi NoRoad A/T (nothing under the hood, being rebuilt)