View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 05:27 PM

A family friend was driving up to Vermont in a 2006 E Class Wagon, when the SBC failed. No one was hurt, and no cars collided, but she was traumatized as the car 'simply wouldn't stop' in her words.

When driving 85 MPH like your typical, (absent minded, texting) driver at one car length - an SBC failure will likely result in a collision. Airbags may save you, or they may not.

I must admit, I have developed extreme anxiety pertaining to SBC failure, and always maintain football field length following on the highway. But in the city, this is not possible, and I fear the red screen, and the limp pedal.

I have read that it is possible to use SDS/Xentry to extend the predetermined lifespan of SBC - but this is done at your own risk.

I find the system only promotes unsafe driving. I have become myself overly reliant on the stoping capability of the vehicle, and thus inadvertently driving to close to other cars.

When I operate another vehicle with ABS or traditional braking systems, my reflex time is use to the SBC, and I have bumper tapped before.

It also makes changing the brake pads (without deactivation) a dangerous operation.

Can you tell I am not a fan of SBC?