View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
My brakes have been flushed by a MB dealer every two years as recommended since new. I asked them to interrogate the SBC for number of activations and was told they could not do it.
This is more like they wont do it. Either tech is inexperienced, or dealer does not want to do anything that adds even a remote possibility of liability -- "oh, you artificially increased the number of actuations! I'm going to sue you!" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
If, as Deplore suggests, I will get white warning messages, I am fine with being the proud owner of an SBC system. If there's a chance the first warning I get is red warning (and the loss of braking power that goes with it)...that's what makes me nervous.
During normal operation, yes the SBC system gives you a warning almost halfway before the threshold. You'd have to intentionally ignore the warnings before SBC quits. As you get closer to the threshold, the warnings become more and more insistent....second white message will turn on the brake light, the ABS light and the traction light, plus a check engine light. And it might induce limp home mode or not -- I did not replace the SBC in a car that has gotten to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
Your personal experience does not jibe with others personal experience- and remember it's just that- your own personal experience. You - by your post- have not experienced SBC failure. You've experienced replacing SBC prior to failure.
Do you have a link or some other type of proof about the braking power of a failed SBC to back up your conjecture?
That's right, my personal knowledge that I gleaned from MB informational documents and experience with replacing SBC doesn't mean much. I'm just a kid, after all.

Yes, I have replaced the SBC prior to failure. Would you drive a car that tells you the brakes will fail? I imagine that a lot of owners will cheap out on various parts in the car, but stopping the car should take immediate priority over all else, doesn't it? The owners of those cars were being proactive, as they are family people and have kids.

Yes, I can actually provide proof for my conjecture.

Welcome to the W211 E- Class!
Welcome to the W211 E- Class!

All these were in the MB educational informational documents. Pay attention to the last paragraphs at the bottom of the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark3542 View Post
As I said in my previous FIRST-HAND response...There were no white warning messages at all in the previous 250k miles. Just the red message and limited braking ability.

Even experiencing the brake failure, I love my CDI, and will buy another in a heartbeat.
I am sorry that your SBC failed without any prior warning, but like any other cars, glitches in the system can cause immediate failure. Perhaps excessive current burned out the SBC module, leading to failure. Perhaps the passenger side SAM module failed, which led to wildly fluctuating voltages and signals which led to module failure. Whatever it is, there are a lot of components in the car that are linked together, and it's possible that one component in the car failed and it led to a cascade failure of others.

Again, I only can speculate in your case. Did you ever find out why it failed?