View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 11:46 PM
What, Me Worry?

E420 running like a 4 cyl. after testing air pump

Hello all,

I am at a loss, as to what happened today.
I went to my local mechanic to see about a car that he is working on, when I mentioned to him that my "check engine light" had come back on. (He had cleared the codes a week before)
One of the codes had to do with the airpump - I think it wasn't turning on, although I am not sure. His device (made by "Baum") has the capability to (apparantly) make the airpump engage for testing purposes. It does this 5 seconds at a time. After the 2nd or maybe 3rd time, the engine died with no explanation. At first it was something his diagnostic device did. He then tells me that it wasn't performing any kind of test, and he had no idea why the engine quit. After restarting the motor, it seemed to idle poorly at first, then you could tell it was trying to level itself out, then it idled ok, but not as smooth as before. (to me it seemed like the pass. side was idling rougher than the drivers side)
Not quite sure what to make of it, I thought that maybe I was getting toward the bottom of my gas tank, and decided to get a few gallons of gas. (Mobil 93 prem.) However, both on the way there, and on the way back, the car had no power...it was like it was only running on 4 cylinders (it even sounded like it). Shifting was also a bit abrupt - but that may be to the lack of power.
My mechanic at this point has no clue (nor do I)....I suspect that like me right now, he is going out and asking questions.

If anybody thinks they can point me in the right direction please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

(In case it doesnt show... its a '94 E420 with 89k miles)

09 Jetta TDI
1985 300D

Last edited by Larry Delor; 03-02-2003 at 09:53 PM.