View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Control Freak

Annnnnd remember that MB has tightened up their policy on keys and locks. Even for a W123 they will not sell a lock or key sight unseen, you have to bring the car to a dealer with proof of ownership and your ID that matches or no key for you. I think even the Classic Center now has to abide by this. In the past they would bend the rules for old cars if you faxed them a copy of your license and registration but I thought I heard Corporate shut that down.

Normally not a big deal on a 123/124/126/201 where you can remove the key switch cylinder and stick a screwdriver in to start the car.

But on a 210 or newer with DAS that car isn't moving on its own unless the key and lock do the happy dance. At least the advantage there is that the interface is all electronic so there is not the wear and filling up with shavings issues that mechanical keys have. If you have a 210 or newer and you only have 1 key, I would get to a dealer and have a spare made. If not and something happens to your key, you are looking at a tow to the dealer.

For this reason if both my wife and I are going somewhere together especially out of town, I always make sure we are both carrying a key.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech