View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Wylie View Post
Thanks Mr Stretch!
Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy at my job lately. But I'm very interested in this.
As you recommended , I did install the chain first.
As far as the timing:
The manual says:
First: IP SET--- line up the followers space between the gear teeth with the scribed mark on the flange
Second: install the IP at 45 degrees with a spring tension to the cam sprocket
Third: move the crank to 26 degrees and do the drip adjustment with fuel
The reason they say is because when you first SET the IP it can skip a tooth on install.

I noticed:When you line up the IP and lightly move it clockwise (by hand) it seems to spring clockwise by two teeth as if finding the center point on the IP cam lobe. Is this what they're talking about?

I'd rather go with your recommendation to insert the IP at 26 degrees- then adjust doing the drip test. What do you think? Thanks again Angus
It must be what they're talking about. I've never worked on your engine before - I'm more familiar with the newer OM61X series.

On the later (Om61X) models there's a cap on the governor that you can unscrew to use a wheel lug to hold the tension whilst setting the IP!

It sounds like there isn't such a thing on your IP so if in doubt - follow the instructions in the book.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!