View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Dieselicious

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeige View Post
Here are some items that are typically overlooked but can be critical:

80A glow plug relay strip fuse.

5 lug bolts of correct size for spare wheel (if different than road wheels) and an extendable lug wrench with correct socket size for ease of use.

Extra set of single filament 21w bulbs. Worst case, use one or both reverse bulbs as a spare for the brake lights and rear turn signals.

Extra fuel filler cap, which can double as an oil filler cap if either gets lost.

Bright LED flashlight (my LED Maglite w/ the same batteries still works after many years of storage in my glovebox). Some units are programmable to flash "SOS" in an emergency at night.

Fire extinguisher.

Extra key (I carry a duplicate brass key in my wallet at all times).

Portable jump starter - typically also has an air compressor.
This post has great advice! The whole wrong size lug bolts issue temporarily sidelined my car when it was being driven by someone else at the time, due to me not knowing that the lug bolts weren't a "one size fits all" kind of deal!

Also, I did not know that the oil cap & fuel filler cap could be interchanged if needed. Very cool!

I noticed you mentioned a fire extinguisher. To me, this is one of the single most important things everybody should keep in their vehicle, regardless if it is gas or diesel fueled. Fire is non discriminatory in that regard, and will consume a vehicle in short order, when a 10 dollar fire extinguisher could've saved an expensive car!
1985 300 SD
1978 300 CD
1962 220-S Fintail - awaiting restoration