View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
My rear suspension has a bit of a caster issue (bottom of wheels out, don't remember but think that's negative?) and a touch of toe-out.

Bushings are all good / fresh, including lower wheel carrier bushing, bearings good, ... no way to set toe on these.

Question is: is this a result of my having the car riding a little low (dropped less than an inch)?
I think you probably mean camber (and not castor).

Bottom of the wheel "out" is negative camber

(Picture borrowed from google image search)

This is indeed often due to ride height. If your leveling control system is a bit low or the springs are a bit too low (now after all these years) or there's just too many tools in the back(!) then you could be having this trouble.

Chapter 40-0001 in the (W124) FSM on startek has the relationship between ride height and rear wheel camber

Chapters 40-0331 talks about the camber related problems - can be due to bent / damaged camber strut.

Chapter 40-0332 has information about setting the toe (via the eccentric bolt on the track rod / pulling rod(?))
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!