Thread: Shut-off
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Shut-off

Hi, when turning the key off on my 87 300td the car would not turn off.
The manual shut-off lever does move down from 45 degree up (when car is running normally) to horizontal position when you turn the ignition key off, but it still does not turn the car off (I need to push it manually further down to shut the motor off).
Does this mean that it is definitely a valve that is bad and need to be replaced or it could still be a vacuum problem (like that there is some vacuum which is enough to turn the lever down to horizontal position, but not enough to pull it all the way down)?
I tried disconnecting the vacuum hose from the valve and use the syringe to pull the vacuum to the valve, but had no success (not even to get it horizontal); obviously this is not enough vacuum to test the valve....
Since I do not have a vacuum test kit is there any other simple way to test if this valve needs to be replaced or it is a vacuum leak that I need to look for?
Again; the lever does go down to horizontal when key is turned off; is this a sign that vacuum is OK but actual valve is a problem?