View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
I love having one, it is a nice part of the cross-check, does work as an economy gauge of sorts, wastegates do fail and stay closed (or open), and if you feel that your performance has changed it is a good reference to see if you are generating the boost that you expect. It becomes much more useful with a pyrometer/EGT gauge however even stock, which will tell you if for example your SOV is clogged and you are getting boost without enrichment.

Regarding the left vent to access the speedo cable, I have found in my 190Dt that I can pull the cluster out just enough to reach it with my fingertips and remove/install the lock ring on the cable end.
I agree entirely...the more information presented to the driver pertaining to the health of the vehicle, the better. I also installed a 16V center console gauge cluster as well. (pic attached) As an airline pilot, I'm spoiled by being able to see tons of information at a glance. I hate my W202 which doesn't even have an oil pressure gauge! (in the process of correcting that omission as well!...story to follow.)

As for the speedo cable, mine is very tight with virtually no slack and I don't want to damage anything by forcing the cluster out to reach behind it. It's a pain to pull the vent hose, but I tend to like to do things "by the book"...and just once!

J.G.
Attached Thumbnails
Boost Gauge in 190D 2.5 Turbo?...-16v-center-console-cr.jpg