View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyNMemphis View Post
Welcome Billyjobs!

You are in the right place to get information and resources to do these maintain, repair and restore tasks.

The mechanical fuel pump on my car was not working. The diaphragm failed. Fuel got into the crankcase. I could smell gas on the spark plugs.

I bypassed the mechanical pump with an electric pump and carbs got fuel and the engine ran properly.

Your fuel tank has a fuel strainer that could be clogged. Our host sells the fuel strainer for about $20.00. It is very possible for a 40 year old gas tank to be full of trash and clog the fuel strainer.

Have you checked all of the fuel lines to make sure they are in good condition? It is a fire hazard to have gas burst through an old dry rotted line while the car is running. If you disconnect the fuel line at the tank and nothing comes out, you have a clogged strainer. Does the fuel gauge work? If not, that would indicate gas turning to varnish and freezing up the lever on the sending unit.

Hi Jeffrey,

Today I checked the fuel pump.

I'm not able to get gas to the fuel pump.

I have disconnected both inlet and outlet and have had someone crank the car to feel if there is pressure coming from either side. This is brand new mechanical fuel pump. Neither side is giving pressure.
So I haven't yet checked whether the fuel lines were clogged. Yes the gas gauge is working and showing fuel level.

Should the pump be working during the crank?

What else could be wrong?

What electrical pump can be used to substitute? for 72 250c also was there a oil pressure switch installed too? Was it installed near the mechanical fuel pump or was in on the line somewhere under the car?

Thanks

Last edited by billyjobs; 01-22-2016 at 05:21 PM.