View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 PM

Having problems with Becker grand prix

Hello I am having a problem to get my stock Becker radio to play in my 85 300sd. I used to have a sony XR-5600 that played pretty well and got a lot of stations but it went bad so I got a stock Becker at a salvage yard to put in. I had a replacement power antenna in but it was broke and no longer went up and down so I wanted to replace with a fixed antenna I did have to get an adapter to go from the fixed antenna end to my antenna wire coming from tne front and so far I have tried 2 fixed antennas and 1 hidden antenna and can get no reception with none of them. Today I put the old broken antenna on in the garage and was getting fairlygood reception went out for a ride and got hardly nothing but a lot of static. Also ever since I put this Becker radio in every time I start the car I hear a crack in the speaker if I turn the radio off while driving I cannot turn it back on will only go back on if I shut the vehicle down and restart. I am pretty sure I have it wired right in that there are 4 wires off the back brown is ground,next switch + blk+y wire, illum.+ grey and violet wire, constant + red wire. I am at my wits end in getting this thing to play does any have any ideas as to where my problem lies? Some one told me to go to Best Buy and let them install a new radio and it will have to work but I do'nt think I would want to spend more then $100 to get this thing to play. Also if I hit the seek button it never stops on a station must keeps seeking and if I do have a station on where it is stereo reception and shut the car off the red stereo stays lit so before I shut it down I have to switch to a station that is not stereo.