View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Dieselicious

Thumbs up thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhitmore View Post
Your CD has disc brakes which will create a drag when the wheel is turned. You should be able to turn the wheel with light to moderate effort. You might want to check the other front side but chances are you will get the same. Given that the car is seldom driven, a front wheel bearing service is probably a good idea. You can also check each wheel after driving for 10 miles or so. Touch the center of the hub caps/wheels and feel for excessive heat. If you feel quite a bit of heat that probably means that you have a wheel that is dragging, caused by either a brake caliper that will not release or bad/overtight wheel bearing.
Yeah, I was wondering about that (the front wheel bearing service), who knows how long it has been since they have been inspected/repacked. Probably due or even overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedpanda View Post
the wheel should spin, and as mentioned with a slight , very slight drag. If you had just put brake pads on , the drag would be more , but only temporarily while they seated. Your symptoms IMHO do not point to wheel bearing issues
I suspect you may have a brake line or lines that are collapsing within. That situation allows for the calipers to work , but they release very slowly, at some point , they may not release. If you are having this on all wheels , look further upstream to the master cylinder , when was the last time the brakes were serviced?
I've never even heard about that "brake line collapsing within" scenario, but I am certain the brakes haven't been serviced in at least 5 years, so yeah... probably a good time to flush the fluid at least and see if any improvement. The pads themselves looked fine: plenty of meat left on them still. Also, I've not noticed any "hot brakes" smell coming from the car at all, which is a good thing, right? This car gets driven less than a thousand miles a year, so its not something I spend a lot of time driving, LOL. I sure hope I don't have to replace brake lines, heck I hadn't even considered that as a possible scenario! Approximately how much in parts cost would these brake lines & related expenses be?

That is what i really love about this forum - I gain knowledge from others prior experiences working on these cars!

Thank you both for your input, I really do appreciate it!
1978 300 CD
1962 220-S Fintail - awaiting restoration