View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polie View Post
Well I would definitely rather diagnose and fix the issue cheaply rather than sinking my wallet into it lol. I was just pushing for those new style glowplugs because everyone says they work so much better and help with hard starts. I suspect that the glowplug chambers need to be cleaned out at the very least. I was thinking of running a tank of B100 through it and then changing all filters, screen, and flushing the tank out.

Another Video, the second start was harder because I left the idle adjust all the way down.

https://youtu.be/TDf1MMH4zo0

If you want cheap don't throw parts at it. I'd recommend verifying if you have air in fuel first, which sounds like you have from your videos. Air can get in from: clogged tank vent, clogged tank strainer, pin hole in rusty fuel line under the car, fuel banjo washers not sealing, fuel filter washer/o-rings not sealing, old /dried cracked fuel hoses in engine compartment etc.

Cheapest /easiest way to diagnose if you have air in fuel is get a length of 1/4" i.d 3/8" o.d. clear Vinyl tubing from Lowes. Lowes around here sell them by the foot, Home Depot by 10 ft rolls. Cut a length of the clear tubing to temporarily replace the cigar hose which returns to tank. Soak the ends in boiling water and stretch it with long nose pliers then slip over the barbs. It should be tight enough without needing clamps to drive around with for a few weeks. If you want to be 100% safe, wrap some rubber bands around the tubing as hose clamps since hose clamps that small are hard to find.

You should see no bubbles at any time, engine running or not. If you let car sit over night and see a bubble at the highest point of the clear line, you still have air and need to find and fix it first before doing anything else.