Thread: Rust Prevention
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Former Paint Maker

There are a lot of comments on rust prevention on the site. I know I've written my fair share of them.

For rust prevention: keeping it out of the salt is the most important thing. Your car is old enough that it is not galvanized, so rust will be more of a problem. But your car is new enough that it was electrocoated, which is the most important coating for rust prevention (see my previous posts for explanations).

Since you have driven it in the winter, you will need to throughly clean the underside with a pressure washer with warm soapy water. Make sure you get all of the nooks and crannies throughout the car. Have the water run clean before you stop cleaning the specific area. Cars get catalyst application in the winter. Most of the rusting occurs in the summer when it gets warm.

You will need to clean all of the door jams, trunk and bonnet and anywhere dirt and salt can accumulate. If you look at the service manual for the car, you will see drainage holes throughout the car that need to be cleaned regularly.

I know someone who had a '56 Olds that his family owned until the '80's. It was driven in the winter, but meticulously cleaned in the spring. The car passed PA inspection with minimal body work until it was sold. Someone wanted to restore it.

The 126 body is a very well made car. It is probably the best built car I had ever owned. Enjoy it.

'93 500 SEL
A bad addiction. Takes all of my cash.

'12 Volvo S80 T6
Needed something that wasn't as hard to deal with as my bad addiction

'18 Mazda Miata
No more boring cars for everyday transport!