View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 AM

General AltiMAX RT43 tires - Road Noise / Tramlining

Re: Gen II W126 SDL...Always used Michelin. Current Michelin Primacy set need replacement, and I like what I'm reading. Here in Southern CA I spend a lot of time on grooved concrete highways.

So, how is the AltiMax with regard to road noise and tramlining?

Also happened on Uniroyal Tiger Paw while following up on OP's links.
Any thoughts about these tires?

Thanks,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mölyapina View Post
I was looking at General AltiMAX RT43 tires in the 195/70 R14 size on Tire Rack for a while, but hesitating to pull the trigger because I would have been paying $320 with shipping and don't really have time to drive down to their CT warehouse during the week to bring the cost down to $260-ish. Then, today, I decided to look around at other places, and found that Discount Tire had them for $72.50 with free shipping, cheaper than TireRack's $67 + $13 shipping per tire. Then, when i clicked on it, I saw that there was a President's Day $75 rebate (Visa gift card) on a set of four! This meant that I could get a set of four good tires for $215, less than even the seedy no-name new tires that you find on Craigslist! I, of course, immediately put my order through. My total, with four valve stems (my current ones are ooolllld), is $225.

The General AltiMAX RT43 is rated as the third best tire in its class by Consumer Reports, behind the Michelin X-Radial (which costs $35 more per tire), and the Continental ContiPro Contact, which isn't available in a 14" version. TireRack's tests consistently put it at the top (although they haven't tested it against the Michelin). I'll post a review of them when they get here, but if you want them for a bargain-basement price, you probably need to act President's Day or before.

Here is the link for the 195/70 R14 tires:
Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Here is the link for the 195/65 R15:

Here is a link for the 205/65 R15:

1986 300SDL 440,xxx