View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Weak Spark from Distributor

Hi All,

My problem is that I got no spark from only 1 of the plug sockets(?) on the distributor cap. All other plug sockets give me a vibrant and bright spark light as tested with a spark plug tester. This came to my attention when I could not get any rpm reading on my digital timing light/tachometer from the #1 spark plug wire at all, no matter where on the wire I placed the induction clamp. The clamp received rpm signals from all of the other five plug wires. And again, using the spark plug tester, all other distributor cap plug sockets produced strong and vibrant sparks.

So, I got a new distributor cap. Even put in a new spark plug at #1 cylinder. Ran an resistance test on the cap's contacts with 2 different voltmeters. All readings were equal (no, or negligible resistance - I forget the numbers). And the inside the cap contacts were all stable; not loose, no wiggle. And no evidence of any cracks, or other physical damage to the distributor cap

This time the #1 cap socket sends a weak spark. And I get an intermittent rpm reading from the #1 cap socket. All other sockets are spitting out strong bright sparks.

All this is with a newly installed Pertronix Ignitor I - Model 1846, so there are no breaker points issues involved here. The car starts and runs - with a lot of ignition advance. I don't want to rev the engine to the factory recommended 4,500 RPM (w/o vacuum adv) until I can figure out this spark problem.

When I get home I can post some pictures that show the difference in the spark.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks