View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
Forces seen by the spring are not the same as the tire contact patch as there is leverage involved.
Right. That's why I called it "napkin math" and why there are not units involved or even considerations for actual ground clearance, etc: I just wanted to have some idea, ceteris paribus, of relative ride height between spring setups.

I didn't consider the leverage aspect. I will measure the suspension geometry when I put the car on the lift this week and take it into consideration. I'm not convinced it will affect the result of the napkin math, since it's mostly arbitrary and relative, but if it changes the results I'll be sure to edit the OP.

Quote:
If you want stiffness, go directly to aftermarket weight jacks and universal aftermarket springs as this will be less fussy than chasing stock stuff and possible less expensive as there are many used springs out there.
That's something I'm also considering. I'm not a MB purist. I just thought I would share my findings w/r/t the heavy duty springs sold in African markets, since I could not find a thread on the subject with the information I was looking for, despite it being a question which comes up frequently on these boards.

Quote:
See my posts in the thread below, ignore what the original poster has to say as he was insistent on ignoring my experience.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/performance-paddock/342744-w123-racing-setup-serious-questions-within.html
Thanks for the link.