View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknack280 View Post
So my fricken mechanic or one of his assistants totally overfilled my trans fluid. i'd say a good 3 inches above the top line. (engine was warm and trans was in park)

My dad and I started evacuating the fluid with a pump. we would check the dipstick every 10 pumps or so. i guess the dip stick was brittle. it broke along the top line! I'm so irritated.

It's raining outside and I need to get this fixed. Do you guys think its safe to drive to mechanic? it won't get past the trans filter right?
Which car?

(I assume engine was running when you measured too)

If you have a 722.1 transmission then you should be able to find the bottom of the dipstick still stuck in the tube.

If you have a 722.3 or 722.4 then the dipstick remains will be in the bottom of the oil pan.

The best solution is to remove it.

The chances of it being sucked up into the transmission is slim (wild guess) but if you drive it it is kind of "at your own risk". Note about the filter and the pump - not all of the fluid gets pumped up and through the transmission at a great rate of knots on start up. The transmission pump is only making pressure for a hydraulic system it isn't force feeding jets of fluid around the whole system. The transmission relies on a lot of "splash lubrication" too.
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!