View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 01:31 PM

Dawes Boost Controller/Boost Gauge Installed - Comments

I installed my Dawes Boost Controller yesterday. Boost control gauge went in on Saturday. T-ed it into the line from the banjo fitting. EZ installation and can now spray WD-40 and air down the line by just pulling the hose off the T for quick cleaning. Also, it would seem that if the banjo was plugged up, the boost gauge would not register correctly so it would seem to be an ez way to monitor this.

With the stock wastegate controller from the factory, I was getting 9psi boost at max. Engine is running great and did the banjo fitting clean, changed both fuel filters and did a diesel purge. Ran it for a couple days to get a good baseline.

Installed the Dawes device yesterday and after a couple runs, have it set to max at 13.5 psi boost. Hard as I have run it, it does not seem to go above that. I'll have a good check this afternoon on the way home as I'll take it up a long grade under full load.

With the Dawes installed, the driveability is noticeably improved. The car pulls stronger and spools up quicker. I do notice that at 75 it seems to boost to about 9psi where before it was at about 7.5 or 8 psi. I have not had it on the car long enough to measure any mileage changes or monitor anything else. I have been getting about 22-23.5 mpg running back and forth to work 80% freeway at 75 miles per hour.

I would really like to hear from other listers about what they are running for max boost; what kind of mileage changes; any difference in coolant temps that were noticeable; and any other information that might be interesting.

So far, my impression is that the Dawes boost controller is very much like the difference between a "chipped" car and one that is not chipped. I would not say that my diesel has "neck snapping" accelleration (at least compared to the 240hp BMW I was previously driving) but it is able to get out of its own way and keep up with any traffic. I'm back in the fast lane!

Mike Holbrook
1983 300TD-T