View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 PM
I LOVE BRUNETTES

Thumbs up

IMO, waste of money to spend $250 for a used trans to use that will at minimum need all external seals and reverse clutches. $1500 is a pretty good deal for a reman with a warranty from Sun Valley? out in CA. I have also heard good things about Silver Star in Oklahoma City. Even if it really only has 185k, it is still 30 years old and the internal seals are long tired too.

These things are super simple. Scoop up a copy of the factory 722.3 PDF and the ATSG book which is decent for it. There are also a few long threads where members have gone through them.

Tools to help break down the internals are about $230 on ebay, a full master kit about $300ish plus bands. Alabama Bands sells relined B1 and B2 bands for pretty reasonable...this is the route I am going to take.

Lastly, front pump leaks are super common on these as the pump bushing is almost always the culprit. Four of my five do this, I am just going to rebuild each one as time allows.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]