View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Precision Somethingist.

OK, it's been long enough

I'm back

after the worst month of my life. We lost a 26-year old daughter due to completely avoidable circumstances simply regarding what she was prescribed vs what the insurance company would fill.

Now I am trying to get back to the '79-

Made a 50-mile trip with her today, of course I heard a few things I wondered about, but I am generally quite pleased with the performance. After driving the '81 with the intermittent vacuum shifting, it was nice to have this car shift a little more...normally.

I have kept that stray wire off the battery when the car will be shut down for more than half an hour, and the battery drain issues have ceased.
Cooljay mentioned the head temp sensor, and at this point that sounds excellent. This would essentially put the glowplugs at full throttle as the feedback form the sensor could be seen as -32F!
There indeed has to be a reason for this fast drain.
The wire that is definitely not stock has a 1/2" ID eye terminal, hung precariously from the positive battery post. This is what I have disconnected for any stay over 15 minutes.
If the temp sensor is erratic/not working, it is possible that the glowplugs are being fired the entire time the car is running... no so good.
I'll look into that sensor.
In the meantime I would like to route that line a little more "stock". I absolutely HATE electrical applications that are just slapped onto the battery. I just saw a truck I worked on leave my driveway yesterday with the aftermarket HID system wired into the horn. Really?

Wish me luck.

snapped_bolt