View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 02:11 AM
hello andy it craig again

just read this post. there are special tools similar to easy outs that you tap in but they are made specifically for shcs. call someone like J&L Industrial Supply they have branches around the country. there is rutland tool , MSC, grainger or mcmaster carr also should have those bits. they are designed to be tapped in first then turned.

i'm only butting in because if you lose the shape of the hex you may not be able to get it out and your only solution then is to mig weld another bolt to the head so you can get a wrench on it.

i had the same problem. i broke 3 allen type sockets that i made (i have a machine shop) luck was with me and i never screwed up the socket. mine where real sons a guns to break loose.

check this thread out :

while you are there at the cam you might as well do the rails and chain and the alternator voltage regulator. you got it down this far would be easy to do the other.

as far as putting it together pretty much straight forward. you may not be able to remove the bottom bolt on the last bearing. i'm not sure which side your working on but the pass side is tough to get that bolt out.

good luck and let us know how this thing comes out.
Thanks Much!

1972 350sl Red/Blk 117k
1988 420sel charcoal/Blk 140k
1987 420sel gold/tan 128k
See My Cars at:

Pound it to fit then Paint it to match!

There is only First Place and Varying degrees of last!

Old age and deceit will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm every time!

Putting the square peg in the round hole is not hard... IF you do it fast enough!

Old enough to know better but stupid enough to do it anyway!