View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 PM

My personal experience with the old 190d models are from the yrs 1984 to yr 1988 ,most performed well but some noticable problems were as follows.Single belt uses a belt tensioner ,these can be replaced and need to be examined before any long trips.Leaking injector pump seals ,instead of metal these models use rubber and will leak with age ,requires speciel socket for removal of line at injection pump,the job can be done as a DIY but again study well in advance before opening up this can of worms.The rearend suspention is majorally different and has around 18 connections to look for when replacing parts other than half shafts.Drive shafts and connections will make noise if old ,to inspect youll need to have it on a lift and in nuetral ,good time to also check play in the yolk at rearend .If it starts up ,very little blow by and shifts well I would say you have in your future just the regular service to tackle, happy motoring and enjoy this little gem.I treated all my 190ds to a reg once a year trannie fluid and filter change as well ,the trannies are just as robust as the diesel MB motors as long as you show it some love.This is true with all 80s diesel models.