View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 AM
I've become my Dad!

How many 87 300D's left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
I think he's talking about the '87 300D sedan only, total run of 124 diesels is significantly higher (although arguably the '90-up is a 250D and then an E300D).

The numbers on the '87 300TD are much lower, the most commonly cited number is around 1,450, not built for Europe in a 3L turbo, so that's total, and we know that there were around 330 dealers in the US alone in 1987 (probably about 20% in CA), which means around 300 of them started life as a white wagon (usually with blue MB-tex) with blue SERVICE stripes, white was also somewhat popular in the sun-belt. Remove those that had accidents or went into disrepair and were scrapped, or just nasty rust-belt cars and you have a pretty low number of non-white '87 300TDs worldwide. Now narrow that to the small percentage that were high-spec, leather, heated seats, both fairly uncommon, 3rd-seat and cargo-cover/pet-net, orthopedic seats, ... I'd say that if you have a black, red, blue car with heated-orthopedic-leather seats, 3rd-seat and cargo-cover/pet-net, you're the only one. Black seems to be the least common interior, red or cream-beige second, palomino 'tex is by far the most common '87 300D/300TD interior second would be blue (in white wagon, a few white wagons had gray).

Wow! I knew I had a keeper when I found my baby, but I had no idea they were this rare!

Here's a beauty shot. Red interior, 3rd row seats. Almost zero rust. It got rear ended recently but is almost all fixed up now with a used bumper, new exhaust and flex pipe. The only thing it's waiting for us the rear hatch trim, which had to come from Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC Canada

Last edited by zu!; 03-30-2016 at 11:38 AM.