View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 PM

I went ahead and ended up visiting a local bearing supplier a while ago. Unfortunately they did not have a direct cross reference for the larger inner bearing from SKF brand to Timken. I took a chance and ordered a Timken 32008 since it seemed like it may do the job. Unfortunately when this special order bearing came in it was apparent that the inner radius was not quite enough to fit over the spindle properly-I had read on the internet of this possibility, so I should have heeded advice and got OE parts or at least questioned it a bit more. I took a chance and it didn't pay off. I ended up ordering two of the correct MB ones as MB part number A 140 981 03 05 or they can be ordered elsewhere as SKF 32008 X/QVB458 for the tapered bearing, and SKF 32008 X/Q for the outer race. The original SKF part I got from MB is made in India unfortunately.

The outer bearings are fairly standard and are SKF BR12 and can be ordered from ********AZ if need be in Timken brand as Timken SET12. ********AZ has them listed as TM-SET12 on their website for $5.68 each-two will be needed, one for each side. They are made in USA. The Timken bearings I have are marked LM12710 on the outer race, and LM12749 on the tapered bearing itself. NAPA also sells SKF bearings as BR12 and are around $11.00 each. Some are made in Japan, and some in Mexico you will just have to dig through their stock. Really if a guy planned this correctly between getting the TM-SET12 for $5.68 each from ********AZ, and the A 140 981 03 05 for around $25.00 each from Vic at Husker or Pelican it should be possible to get the front bearings replaced for a total bearing cost of around 65.00 plus you will need the grease, and the seals. Hopefully I will be installing these in the next couple weeks and will post the results.

2005 E320 CDI

2002 VW Jetta TDI