View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM
ROLLGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinthesun View Post
It is correct that a new pump is $340 plus but once again this is cheap insurance especially for someone with fewer skills, experience, and equipment than Rich.wbwhitmore III
An intersting thing that some shops deal with is covering parts for future short time failure, this usually puts an extra cost to the new part in question .In my experience if your going to let a mechanic take on the repair he generally will cover that part with added cost for this reason,thats why if you bring in your own part the warranty on that part is void in most cases.Rich maybe that exception ,but to call the part $340 plus would be more like $680 plus,,plus ,plus.
Although I do admit that I have been blessed with talents and abilities in fixing these cars, replacing a vacuum pump is totally a D.I.Y job for most of the owners of these cars. The 80's era M B Diesels are probably the most easy to work on, and in some cases easier than the same era Ford or GM cars. I have always thought of these cars as "tinkerers cars". Some demand a lot of attention, whereas others are more reliable and need as little attention as let's say a newer Toyota. As far as getting deep into the engine as I have with this car, it is not as intimidating as you would think. It is really quite simple and straightforward mechanics. Bottom line is, don't let a broken camshaft from a vac pump failure steer you away from a cheap (but repairable) 'Benz if you have the opportunity to get one. I would have loved to buy this wagon and have it for my very own, but my friend beat me to it! (actually he showed me the ad asking my opinion, and I said he should not hesitate)......Rich