View Single Post
Old 07-11-2000, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMCon98:
Why is it that european manufacturers can't seem to engineer a decent A/C system? Old American cars from the '60s and '70s had arctic A/C systems that would cool their huge interiors in minutes, and didn't screw up until the rest of the car was worn out. I remember freezing as a kid in my parents' '70 Bonneville. Modern Japanese cars also have good systems, even in the lowliest Corolla or Sentra. By contrast, Benz, Volvo, BMW, and others used primitive piston type compressors well into the '80s, and their systems were/are largely useless on the 95-degree days when you needed them most. Seems like the companies that engineered such wonderful engines/suspensions/seats, etc. could have engineered a good A/C system, or at least purchased a new Caprice and copied the GM system. What do you guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Austrian friend of mine here had an 85 coupe and he had no end of trouble with the european spec a/c, would not cool at all in the summer despite working leak free and all fans running. He told me that this is by design and that the german federal authorities seem to think that anything more than a 7 degree temperature drop is unhealthy for the human body and design their a/c systems accordingly. Whilst this is O.K. for a resonably "mild" german summer, clearly it's of no use here when we have had recent temperatures up to 48 celcius. It kind of makes sense to me as the cooling properties of freon is pretty much the same irrespective of the car inwhich it is cooling and as you state, Japanese systems, certainly here, are really the business, all using the same gas. German spec cars here really arent that popular as a first choice, mainly as people really need a good a/c system for about 8 months of the year. An auto a/c system is fairly common for all cars as all the components are pretty much common for all types. I don't suspect for a minute MB are lagging behind anyone when it comes to design capability ! Only a thought !