View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Along the course of things, I've decided to preemptively repower the 4runner with a MB OM617.952 engine before I need to do the headgasket again on this crappy 3vze. This is on a '90 4runner with the r150 transmission

Right now, the mission is to get the om617 running in tip top shape outside of the 4runner using a junkyard ignition, starter, and wiring, then extract the 3vze, remove the oil/coolant temp senders and attach them to the block, then drop the mbz in, fab the engine mounts, figure out a radiator solution, wire in a relay for the glow plugs. I'll deal with the tach some time hopefully

Right now, I've got an adapter plate made and installed, oil pan made to deal with steering linkage clearance, oil filter re-locator plate for remote filter to deal with firewall clearance, started on some engine mounts using toyota celica 8359 anchor mounts from a junk yard, started to prep an alternator mount that'll reuse the stock alternator bracket, MB power steering pump should mate to the steering gear box without many headaches and in the stock location on the om617 should allow me to remove the crossover lines that are stock in the 4runner. EGR block off plates are made up. Working on wiring a 12v vacuum actuated solenoid to deal with shutoff. No a/c planned yet.

I've also replaced the plugs, injectors, timing chain, head gasket, adjusted valve clearances, new thermostat, waterpump, replaced some vacuum lines and fuel lines, removed the fuel limiter, cleaned the oily ****er up, installed a pre-turbo pyrometer and intake boost gauge for adjusting boost when its in and running, and have put new gaskets everywhere I can find one to replace.

Down the line, I'll add an a/w intercooler if there is space, might add a hood scoop to deal with clearance (and make it look badass), and once I'm happy with it all, it'll earn the MBZ TURBODIESEL badge

Planning to do the swap in the fall after my USFS field season ends. Until then, I can go ahead with the remote oil filter mount, install the gauges and get them lit, expand the fuel filler neck to accept the standard diesel size.

Here are some crappy cell phone photos of the progress so far.

For the swap, there is a major clearance issue in the engine bay since the om617 is longer than the 3vze by a good deal. People have swapped out the 22re for this engine which has a shorter(w56?) transmission attached and the clearance issue seems to be less in those swaps. To deal with this, I was thinking of finding some drivelines from a similar model year with the W56 transmission and mating them to the transmission and transfer case. Does anyone know if the front or rear driveline from the w56 will mate to the t/case or r150f and pumpkin? I figure that if it does, it would be a great way to not have to pay out the nose in a driveline shop, and that they could simply fab up one driveline instead of both.

I also have the swing out spare tire arm, and was thinking of mounting a radiator remotely under the car to avoid the headaches of trying to jam a radiator and fans into the engine bay. The om617 has a purge tank, so I could use that and don't think that having the radiator mounted flat would be an issue. I would also make a screen using some anti-slip metal walkway tread to protect the radiator from rocks, etc.