View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 AM

I had to cut up the transmission tunnel some to fit this monster sized 4L80e in. Basically it is about 2" wider, so I cut out a section 1" in on both sides and then up about 4" high. Where the original manual shift penetration is the tunnel transitions down and in. I have the transmission touching here and I really want to go up another inch. I'll probably start patching the tunnel from the front to build back some strength before I cut any more.

'69 230 build w/LQ4 swap-image.jpeg

Should be able to reform the tunnel without too much notice. Not as much cutting away as I thought there would be.

I did have to cut away a lot of the structure that the rear transmission mount was attached too. So going to have to add metal back for the new mount brace to attach to.

But all in all a good day. Looks like everything is going to be able to be worked out and I feel confident that overall handling of the car will benefit from this swap due to more balance front to back weight and lower center of gravity.

Going home to the Mainland this week for the week, except off and here to work on the car tomorrow.

But when I get back I'll continue to replace as much sheet metal as I can with the engine in place. And also build the rear trans mount. I will need to make exact layout marks for the motor mount receivers so they can be correctly placed after the engine is out.

Then I will complete the sheet metal work, re build the crossmember, install the motor mount receivers and then paint the engine bay.

I have read other swaps where they install and pull the engine several times to get everything worked out. I'm trying to plan more. It's a lot of work threading this engine and trans into the hole, I only want to do it one more time!