View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 PM

717.411 in M103 W124 - Rebuild Question

Hey everyone,

I've recently finally completed my mission of an M103 2.6 Rebuild & manual converting the 260E with a 5Speed 717.411 from a 190e 2.3-8v with 124,xxxkms, and it was a huge success.

Sadly, because it was completely unknown to me, the gearbox wasn't in a healthy condition. I'm not too sure what the problem is because I have very, very little knowledge on Transmissions. As soon as the hydraulics were connected, and the clutch engaged, it made a horrible ticking sound which has worsened over time. This happens in neutral, as well as every gear, and at low RPM it is very hard to hear the ticking at all.

It's not as bad as i'm making it sound, but it's a sound that definitely shouldn't be happening, haha.

Here's the deal, I live in New Zealand. Managing to source a 190e 5speed here was a gift from god, because they are virtually non-existant here. I've put my money on myself having the only 5speed W124 in the country, because of how rare the parts are. So sourcing another Gearbox is a no-go. I can get a Getrag from a 2.3-16, but for $2,000, it seems like a rebuild would be the better option.

I work for an Engineering Company, we deal with pretty much everything, but mainly bearings. So in terms of a rebuild, I can source any bearing I would need. Taper Roller, Needle Bearings etc. etc. All I would need would be dimensions, or part numbers that would match up with universal Japanese/German suppliers.

I am having SO MUCH TROUBLE even trying to figure out the dimensions or aftermarket part number of ANY bearing in the 717.411, all I get is OEM part numbers at extortionate prices.

If anyone out there has any gold information regarding the 717.411 and the internal parts that would be intensely appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope theres some help out there!!

Cheers guys

Bjorn