View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:54 AM

Just to be clear. I think the root cause of my problem is likely to lie elsewhere, and I'm only considering trying out a used ECU. I do think it's likely that the existing ECU has issues. The previous owners (in a different location and different mechanic) also had stall/non-restart issues from time to time. At some point their mechanics (who I definitely think were crooks) sent the ECU for "repair". Not sure what this means, but it leaves me wondering about the reliability of the existing ECU. It is also the case that my car has been running very rich and reportedly running with another ECU resolved that issue.

I do trust my mechanic, but I also ask a lot of questions. With all intermittent issues (of which I've seen many in my career as an electrical engineer), debugging is difficult -- if you can't reliably reproduce a problem, then it's hard to find the root cause.

I agree there is a chance that the cap and rotor are an issue, but internal inspection didn't reveal an obvious problem. The CPS was a reasonable thing to replace -- the mechanic did test the other one and found it sub-standard.

Geoffrey
1986 300E 112,000