View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 09:46 AM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuke View Post
Wow stretch seems pretty complicated that you have to totally rip the whole box apart to put a couple of o-rings in it and seems you had a lot of trouble to remove the steering link on the out put shaft. I am going to do a lot more research including tryinging to find out exactly where it is leaking at. Just thought it would be a good time to address the leak as the engine is out right now and I have a lot of room to work in there. Was wondering if maybe just putting some power steering stop leak in there would make the o-rings swell up and stop leak. It worked great one time on a toyota I used to have. Hope to hear from other people that had same problem. Also trying to figure out how many mounting bolts there are I only saw 2 bolting it to the fender well.
There are three (3) 15mm (IIRC) mounting bolts in the wheel well. One is usually obscured by the brake line. I recommend backing these out but leave one with a few threads engaged. Grab hold of the p/s hoses with your left hand and as you remove the last bolt use them to lower the box to the ground. It's about 30lb and will drop like a rock if you're not in control of it.

You could try using a product to help the seals swell, but keep in mind that they are under a decent amount of pressure (65 bar = 945 psi, 82 bar 1189 psi). They usually leak at the pitman arm plate seal or shaft seal. DO NOT whatever you do try to seal the leak from the outside with silicone (don't ask).

Army's write up is amazing (I know, it helped me get started rebuilding these). But if your additive solution doesn't work I would recommend getting a professionally rebuilt box (~$400), getting a used box or getting someone like me (like an adventurous mechanic) to do it. It is quite a job to reseal one of these boxes. (Usually takes me around 5 hours)

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]