View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anziani View Post
I had a upholstery shop close by do a wonderful job for a little less than $400 on my CE320. Luckily since it was a coupe, by rolling all of the windows down, the board came out easily. Looking at all of the things that have to be undone, no way would I do this myself.
Anziani
'97 CL600 56K
It looks sort of fussy and tedious, but not hard. I mean, it's mostly turning screws and removing interior trim pieces. I had thought about getting a quote from an upholstery shop, but I have a lot of little jobs to do on this car, so saving a couple hundred bucks to do this one myself (and as many others as I can going forward) is worth it to me. I'm going to take the opportunity to recover the B-pillars at the same time, and probably service the sunroof while I'm in there.

Another thing to consider is that I live on a fairly remote island in Puget Sound...not the most remote of the islands, but certainly not as "well-connected" as the mainland. A lot of goods and services are limited, and I worry about getting gouged with an "island tax" by a guy who has no competition and maybe isn't all that good anyway. This is all hypothetical, of course, as I'll never know how good they are without trying them out, and I didn't even get a quote, so it might have been $400, or $900, or $250 for that matter.

But by doing it myself, I'll be all in for <$300 using brand new OE materials, and I won't have strangers tearing apart the interior of my car.