View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 11:16 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, gents. To be honest, one thing the W124 has over my E82 is a tremendous amount of space underneath the thing, and a lot more room to work. Even with the car on the ground, I can crawl underneath the bumpers or peer enough to make myself familiar with the lay of the suspension links, exhaust tract, etc. I can actually see the front bump stops (they're shot, btw) just by peering into the wheel wells while the car is parked! Basically, it looks fairly friendly to work on for the end user - my biggest concern is rusted out, stubborn bolts. But man, I'm looking forward to swapping out some old grungy rubber with new. Gonna be pretty satisfying to basically replace the entire undercarriage. It's a huge job, but the more I look at it, the more it really seems quite do-able, given enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
Just keep in mind that redoing the rear / front suspension will cost you about the entire value of the car. Good parts are not cheap! Your car will drive like a dream when done (in a 1990's sort of way)
I guess cost is sort of the elephant in the room - I just keep telling myself it's much cheaper than buying a brand new E-Class, lol. Plus, they just don't quite make 'em like they used to, and chasing that old '80s charm is definitely part of the deal. I kinda just kinda of have my mind's eye on the finished product - there's a long way between here and there, and I can't really explain why it seems important to get there - but we're kind of weirdos like that, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w123fanman View Post
I did the entirety of the suspension on my 190E Sportline, really wasn't that bad except for finding a shop to press in new bushings (I didn't want to deal with that myself). I can't remember if I replaced both flex discs but I replaced at least one. Suspension work is easy, best to have a helper though. Much easier than working on an M103.
Swapping bushings is one of my biggest reservations. I hate to have to pick up a special tool, but I also don't want to truck my subframe off to a shop, either. Probably just going to bite the bullet and try to rent a tool, or pick one up used. I'm still worried that it's going to be tough, though.

A helper would be a huge help. A few years ago I had a neighbor that would've gladly given me a hand, but I've moved a couple times since then, and don't really have anyone like that local to me. Bummer!