View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 01:57 AM
Registered Biodiesel User

Center vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimevans View Post
I have a1987 Mercedes 300D and the center vent will not work for hot or cold air, the other vents work and the ac works. You mentioned a bad Bosch CCU, what did you replace it with and do you know the part number or better description where to find? I was thinking one of the pink actuators was not working, just starting to troubleshoot this.
Center vent failure in 124 climate control is typically the vacuum pod. Check by removing the glove box (air bag in later 124s). Locate the vacuum manifold just to the left of the hole you've exposed in the dash. Remove the line from the manifold to the center vent pod (unsure if it's #4, been a long time since I last looked) and pull a vacuum on that line. If it won't hold a vacuum the pod is bad.

Unfortunately, changing the pod requires pulling the dash, a large job, not difficult just several hours of work, especially the first time. Another option is to jam open the flap that the pod controls, so the center vent is open all the time. You can manually close the vent if it's ever needed. Plug that line so you don't have a vacuum leak.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970