View Single Post
Old 03-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Some versions of Bosch Platinum plugs O.K. for Mercedes engines

In the Technical & Restoration Forum in the March / April 2003 The Star Magazine, there is a question about platinum plugs and an interesting reply. It doesn't say who exactly wrote the reply, but it was probably Stu Ritter:

After I put Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs in my 190E 2.6, a dealership advisor reprimanded me, saying they aren't recommended by Mercedes-Benz. He said that a service bulletin indicated that they should not be used. Is this so?

Some time ago a Mercedes-Benz service bulletin recommended against using fine single-wire platinum electrode spark plugs in their engines. The electrode on these plugs was so thin that the spark could be blown off the plug, causing misfires. The new Bosch +4 spark plugs are not covered by that old bulletin. Thin-wire plugs could cause poor idle quality and misfires at high rpm under full throttle. Mercedes-Benz has not recommended against the newer +4 plugs, which have four electrodes so are not about to have the spark blown off. You might tell your service advisor that serval versions of Bosch platinum plugs exist.
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".

Last edited by suginami; 03-15-2003 at 09:39 PM.