View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So my 80a alternator is struggling and I have replaced the VR already, but it's still only putting out 12.7v and dipping as low as 12.2v sometimes when I have all accessories on. Also replaced battery last week as it was 4yrs old. This is a reman Bosch al66x and it has 105k on it now.
He's already changed the VR and stated the output was not sufficient. His battery is also new. I had this problem a few weeks ago and it was in fact something wrong with the alternator. When it got hot, the output would not even charge the battery and if I turned on my a/c, the sudden draw would shut off my radio....unless I turned the ac on while giving it gas. When I removed the black plastic cover from the alternator, there were small pieces of solder that fell out. Never found it what the issue was, just replaced the alternator for a brand new one under AutoZone's lifetime replacement. All is good now. I support the upgrade of an alternator though, there are only pros to doing this and no cons that I know of.

1990 190E 3.0L