View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 12:42 AM

PickNPull (Schneitzer scrap metal) is in Northern CA, down to about Bakersfield. They have bought up many of the independent yards. Ecology is big in SoCal. Check the row52 site (link on PnP site), and they link to many yards. You can search and they have a photo of most cars. Search doesn't distinguish 300D, 300SD, and 300TD, but they give the VIN's (WBAB... = W123, I recall). I see about 9 SD's for every D, and see more TD than D, but D is what I need.

PickNPull never stacks cars. They are all supported on the frame rails & trunk by welded wheels. They say not to crawl under, but lawyer disclaimer since most cars have a carpet thrown underneath by customers. I always shake well before crawling under.

When I travel, I check inventory at nearby yards, plus craigslist. I have hit the Ecology in Chula Vista (1/2-off day ~4 300D's) and Santa Fe Springs. A few weeks ago I picked a few interior parts in N. San Jose. I never have problems with other customers. The $2 fee keeps most riff-raff out. I have been the hero, having an O2 sensor socket in my chest and breaker bar, so in 20 sec I saved some kids an hour. Helped a young lady without enough wrenches remove a throttle body ($20 vs $400 at dealer). Most are resourceful people and many engineers like me. Just wish I could have interested my sons in mechanical things. I like the environmental concept of re-use, and hate to see the valuable stuff that gets crushed, but can't save it all.