View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 05:38 PM

1994 Mercedes w124 E320 wagon Exterior Lamp Failure

On my 1994 Mercedes w124 E320 wagon, the instrument cluster panel with the Indicator Lamp symbols that shows warning lights, the symbol Exterior Lamp Failure came on after I pressed the brake pedal. When I first start the engine, none of the warning lights came after starting the engine. Once I first pressed the brake pedal, the exterior lamp failure light came on and stays on, even when I let go of the brake pedal. When I checked the rear brakes lights using a brick to hold down the brake pedal, all brakes lights are working properly. I suspected the brake light switch located behind the brake pedal is faulty. I was under the impression that if the brake light switch is faulty, the rear brake lights will not come on when pressing the brake pedal. Is that true? I checked all the fuses and all of the fuses are ok. Could there be a short electrical wire somewhere? Do I remove the brake light switch and check for resistance using a volt meter? I am somewhat baffled by this issue and does anyone have this problem? Any ideas/comments or helpful hints is greatly appreciated.