View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 PM

This was the last picture I took before the car went to the bodyshop...

The right front fender was cut out and the intake vent from a new donor 300D fender carefully welded in and smoothed before painting and fitting.

Also fitted new E500 inner fenders, carefully modified and trimmed to clear the 300D's oil cooler on the left side too.

Used E500 headlights went in, although these would be replaced later with new Hella items, as I found out the plastics inside & reflectors were damaged from age.

E500 side skirts were also sourced used, along with lower plastic trims for each of the E500 front fenders before painting and fitting. I'd also found some original AMG rear fender trims.

This is how it looked when finished.

Not entirely happy with how the rear fenders look, but I now have a set of replica E500 arches to fit on the rear, so sometime - it'll go back under the knife and have these put on, with 20mm spacers to bring the rear wheels out a little more.

One final modification I did was to fit a retractable front number plate mechanism. This is a simple spring-loaded hinged assembly that allows the plate to fold to horizontal (& upside down) at over 60km/h. Can also be locked into the vertical position, although I never bother!