View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 04:14 PM

Mech in San Antonio that knows 1970s MBZ

Hey all,

I have a 1975 300D in almost great shape... accepting the trans started flaring on the 3-4 shift and shifting hard when cold, and a minute delay from shift into reverse until engagement...

Being an old tech, I did the usual diagnosis; Vacuum check, Fluids, linkages... nothing out of the ordinary at first glance...

I changed the fluid and filter, no particulates that were cause for immediate alarm but the problem is worsening... to the point i don't want to look any further and I want to find someone to diagnose what may turn out to be trans rebuild...

The bottom line is I want someone that understands the older MBZs. Reason being when I was a tech we had more than one car that came in with a previous recommendation for trans rebuild to find that there was substantial vacuum issues causing the trans to shift too soft too hard or both... and a trans shop can rebuild a mean trans that may not solve all of the problem... I can see no recommendations for a place in SATX that is newer than 3 years old??? any one got any ideas???

1975 300D, Feuerrot and Parchment interior

1971 220D (RIP)