View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 11:27 AM

FWIW, The rest of your rubber front end parts are shot if they haven't been replaced. Refurbishing all will make it steer like intended. Mine stopped following the road crown and drives straight like it is supposed to.

New guide rod mounts will only get rid of one clunk source. They are pretty easy to install if the spring is removed for a complete refurb. Total parts cost is ~ $600. Now is a good time to repack the wheel bearings and fix any potential brake problems.

I had one upper control arm bolt and one lower control arm eccentric bolt rusted that had to be cut out on 2 SDs (1 & 1 total). They can be cut with a new blade and a sawzall. Don't waste time trying to gently remove if they don't come out easily. Just cut them out. Put the blade on the old bushing so as not to hit the body and pull the trigger. Done.
85SD 240K & stopped counting painted, putting bac together. 84SD 180,000. sold to a neighbor and member here but I forget his handle. The 84 is much improved from when I had it. 85TD beginning to repair to DD status. Lots of stuff to do.