View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 PM

This is a deceptive ad, without a doubt. The conditions are clear if you read the terms, and acceptance is implicit when you give them the card. But there is really nothing that requires you to at least click through the terms. One sure sign that it's a scam is that the website registrant for secur-ecart.com has been anonymized through whoisguard:

WHOIS Lookup - Domain Whois Search, Availability, and Information | eNom

Whoisguard is a company out of Panama that makes a business out of hiding the true registration information for a website. What this means is that you have no means to identify the true owner of the website. No name, address, phone number, or e-mail address. So no way to deliver legal service. You don't see this with legit sites.

First thing I'd do is cancel the service, so that it doesn't get any worse.

Then go back to Chase. The truth is that bankers aren't paid to handle complaints. So it's tough to find a banker who will really fight for you. I'd try the branch manager rather than a banker. Be stubborn and hard to convince, make them take all possible escalations. Print out screenshots of the site and the whois info from the above url and show them that the disclaimer is obscure and the ownership is anonymous. In the end, the bank may simply be unable to fix it. But believe me, you haven't yet exhausted the possibilities at the bank.

The other thing I would do is file a complaint with my state attorney general. Print out everything and attach it to your letter. Most AG's will go after this sort of scam.

Most important: learn from the experience.