View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
The unit in my '83 SD illuminates. There are a couple of bulbs covered by tape to light the buttons. I don't remember how to get to the bulbs for the thumbwheels.

The controllers are different because the systems are different. Early systems have an external temperature controller and discreet blower settings. Later systems have integrated temperature control, seemingly continuous blower settings and a user selectable recirculate feature. The latter probably accounts for the increased pin count.

Have you tried moving early innards to a later housing or grafting a later face to your early housing?

Sixto
83 300SD
98 E320 wagon
What I'm basically going to have to do is search for a Zebrano wood face plate for an early CCU. Which is hard to do online without having the part in person. The wheel location is ever so slightly off to the left on the later ones, and its hard to catch it in photos.

That being said, I was able to graft my early power window switches onto a late Zebrano wood center console face plate. That was easy since I only need to enlarge the holes with a dremel (Okay I make it sound easy, truth be told it took a very steady hand, and its still not perfect).

The CCU face plate is whole different ball game unfortunately.