View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmbz View Post
The supplier did in fact assert that his cloud point was 17 deg, but in alternative energy, there is a lot of wishful thinking, so i thought to poll the experts.
LOL yeah right. Run away from that guy!

"Besides its high oil content, canola delivers several other important advantages to biodiesel makers and users. At 7 percent saturated fat, canola has the lowest saturated fat level of all major vegetable oils. The low saturated fat content of canola oil means improved cold weather performance of the biodiesel. The truth is, even petroleum diesel will crystallize or gel at extremely cold temperatures. Pure canola biodiesel has a cloud point-the temperature at which small solid crystals form in the fuel-of 3 degrees Celsius (37 degrees Fahrenheit)."

Biodiesel Magazine - The Latest News and Data About Biodiesel Production

I made and ran biodiesel for a few years, best results I had was blending around B25 and I could go around 25F but I did have 2 times I could not start. Depends how long its at the low temps also, its cumulative. The number above is pure canola bio, restaurants usually use the cheapest they can find which can include hydrogenated oil which makes lousy bio.