View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 04:31 PM

changing the alternator

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Bosch alternator thru Pelican for my 1973 450SL. In the pictures the alternator looked the same as what I was replacing however when it arrived I realized there were differences.
The position of the bracket mount on the alternator is such that the three prong D+,D- and D plug is closer to the water pump, tucked in back of the alternator almost touching (3/4 of an inch) the valve cover.
On my old alternator the three prong plug was almost directly in front of the oil level tube. I was able to extend the wiring harness to be able to insert the three prong plug.
With this new position the B+ wire is almost exactly where the three prong plug was on the old alternator.
My question: Since these units are all rebuilt, is it possible that the pully side of the alternator with the mounting elbow and separate adjustment mount hole got twisted in a rebuild by a mistake. All the three bolts holding the alternator together are evenly spaced apart. I actually was going to try to shift the pully side of the alternator one bolt or 1/3 a complete turn. But decided against it till I hear back.
Thanks
Rob