View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM

2002 E320 Won't Start

Hello! I'm really having some trouble getting my 2002 E320 started, and in my searches I came across a lot of useful posts on these forums. I have already gotten a lot of help from the people on the benz world forum, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get more eyes on this before I give up and get the car towed to the mechanic.

First of all I have made a crudely edited video summary for everyone's viewing pleasure, it is a 17 minute video but the last 11 minutes or so are just me messing around with STAR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUv-KTYq7fA

So to summarize the situation here, I bought a 2002 E320 a few months ago and it ran fine. I went to start it one day a couple months ago and it is stuck in hard limp home mode and won't go out of second gear. I proceed to buy a replacement conductor plate, plug for the transmission housing, and a STAR diagnostic system to clear the fault codes. Once I have the STAR I clear the codes to get the car out of limp mode and am able to drive it to my uncle's shop with no problems. I then replace the conductor plate, plug, filter, and pan gasket. I bolted everything back together and replaced the fluids and tried to start the car. Car would not start, but I was able to get it to start periodically with a combination of various battery packs however. Not wanting to take up and more of my Uncle's time I decided to drive the car home the next time I was able to get it started with the battery packs figuring I just needed to replace the battery. I have since replaced the battery however, and have been unable to get the car started at all for over a month now, even with jump packs.

Things I have tried:
Checked all fuses in front left fuse box, fuses on k40, and fuses by the battery. All are good.

Replaced the battery.

Crossed the starter relay to see if the starter works properly, starter works fine when key is in accessory position so the problem must be electrical I'm thinking. Starter relay itself was also good, showing about 73 ohms. (all of this is in the video)

Key turns to all positions and locks/unlocks doors remotely with no issue. Also don't see any "alternating lights" on the mirror that I have read about.

The right display on the instrument cluster properly displays every gear.

I have triggered the alarm and disabled with my key, still no start.

I have tried starting with the anti tow button on and off. No start.

Tried starting with foot on break, foot off brake, in neutral, nothing works.

I actually tried disabling ESP through the instrument cluster because STAR was showing an error in the ESP. I following the instructions here How to switch off ESP, ABS & BAS systems - Mercedes-Benz Forum . I was unable to find the option to turn ESP off that was mentioned there however so I don't think I actually changed anything.

STAR Reports:

A clear scan from star has shown no errors except a D2B error under audio, a steering angle sensor error under ESP, and a tele aide error for the last month. My latest scan however only showed the audio error which I believe is due to the missing CD changer.

I did an "initial startup" under the motor electronics section and it goes through the whole coding process fine, it then comes to a page that says "drive authorization: Immobilizer active" and proceeds to abort the process. This is the only indication I have gotten from Star that anything is wrong with my car. (all this is in the video as well)

I am truly at loss for what to do next. It will probably cost a fortune to get this thing towed to the nearest benz dealership about an hour away and then another fortune for them to fix it. I'd like to avoid that at all costs if possible. If anyone has any ideas for things I could try to get this car started I would be more than happy to hear them. Thanks ahead of time.

Oh and sorry for the double post I think? I tried posting here last week but I never saw my thread show up so this is my second attempt. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules or something .