View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 10:11 PM

W124 Performance Suspension Opinions Solicited!

My latest purchase has arrived and it was only a matter of time before I'd start tinkering to make it drive sportier...it's a 1990 300E with an unbelievable documented 18,700 miles! Well worthy of upgrades, I'm moving on to beefing up the very compliant stock suspension.

I'm pretty set on mostly stock Sportline parts...with the help of many posts read on this and other forums, I've decided to go stock Sportline 15X7 8 hole wheels with 205-60-15 tires and Sportline springs, shocks and bushings. From prior experience with H&R springs, I've decided against them as they are just too harsh over the long trips I take. The Sportline springs and shocks I did on my 190D 2.5 Turbo (5 speed conversion- 16 valve clone) while very firm and sporty also have the kind of ride and composure I've come to expect of a Benz.

That all said, I'm a little stuck on the sway bar choice...while I've heard no complaints about the Sportline sways, I've read of some doing the front "limo" bar and the rear 500E bar...(ie- Nippy's 300E 5 speed...) I'm interested in some opinions from those who have lived with their upgrade choices for some time and have a feel for how they are living with their choices and perhaps wished they had done things differently. For instance- I did the Evo II rear bar for my 190DT and while it corners amazingly flat around bends, I do notice a diminishment in the "independent suspension feel" over uneven dips in the road...wondering if the 500E and limo bars for the 300E may be overkill and will cause a noticeable negative road response feel versus the stock Sportline bars which Mercedes engineered specifically to work with the Sportline springs and shocks...

What say ye??...

J.G.