View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandor View Post
> driveshaft flex disc

Definetely check that. Many cars don't have one, so owners don't even know it exists. It's a rubber u-joint behind the transmission. If it fails the driveshaft could cut through the transmission tunnel!

I have a nearly identical car to yours. Bought it in good shape, but with a broken timing chain. I rebuilt most of the motor while fixing it. Mine is also converted the r134a, and it's adequate at best. I think a larger or more efficient condenser would help.

Does the pointer for the shifter indicator on the instrument cluster work? They often fail and are hard to fix, as MB used an unblelievably complicated system. Another problem I had was that the turn signals flasher very quickly. Supposedly it's not uncommon with old flasher relays. I replaced with an electronic 550 flasher and it's been fine since.
I will check the flex disc. Thanks for the tip.

I will have to wait for some warmer weather to see how well the AC works. It did blow cold when I tried it while inspecting the car with the seller. Good point on the condenser. I have a spare new condenser from an older project up in my attic. I may pull it down to see if it would fit and see if it is bigger.

The pointer works on the shifter but it is somewhat tricky to make sure it is in drive and not in second. The turn signals flash normally but engaging the turn signals requires a firm push on the stalk.